Sunday, June 8, 2008

Why Indians come late to parties and Americans don’t!

(Note: Basic knowledge of game theory is required to understand this. )
I had one strange observation while I was going for my friend’s party yesterday. Everyone I asked thought of going 1 hour late to the party. This is how I thought that things are actually working in the background.

These are the typical observations in a party scenario.
1. Normal party time : 8 PM – 10 PM
2. If you come 1 hour late i.e. at 9PM you will leave by 10:30 PM
3. Since some people came in late so those who come at 8PM are forced to stay back till 10:30 PM
4. You don’t incur any penalty by coming late

Now if I apply convert this in terms of pay-off when Nitin (my friend) and I plan to leave for the party. This is what I will get.
Each cell indicates the loss in time. E.g. “-0.5” represents extra half and hour lost by Deepesh because Nitin came late to the party. Similarly "+0.5" represents and extra half and hour gained by Nitin as he came late to the party.

Now by using game theory we can see that (+0.5, +0.5) is equilibrium.
But then why do Americans come to party on time?
The reason is that observation#4 is not true for them. There is a penalty in terms of loss of face if they come late. If we attach some value e.g. “-2” to this loss and re-work our table the pay-offs look something like this.

Both the people “Ontime” is the dominant cell. So, now I think I understood why we are always late in parties ;-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well, one more reason to consider is that the guests know that the host knows that they will arrive late and hence has deliberately invited them early. We being considerate people take utter care not to upset the host's plan by reaching on time :)
Nishant

Sunil Puri said...

Havent seen much action lately on your blog man? Do find some time for the blogosphere :-)

Sunil